Followers

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Linking Up with Yester-Year

Quilt Monster in my ClosetQuilt Monster in my ClosetChristine over at Quilt Monster in My Closet has come up with a great idea.  It is a WIP Challenge to finish those really old projects we all have hiding in our "studios"  Check out the challenge details here. 

Isn't this a lovely box?  I got it in 2007 when I purchased the materials to make a Road to Paradise Quilt for my newly painted purple bedroom. 

At the time the sales lady asked me what I was making and how long it would take me to make it.


Ummm, this is a picture of my plan.  I told her it would take me a couple of weeks.  What I didn't tell her was that they were weeks in the Biblical Prophecy sense of the word.

See that....lower right hand corner...there is a date....ummm... 1/5/2007.  That was over 5 years ago.


But aren't these fabrics pretty?  I still love lilacs.  They remind me of Springtime in Santa Fe, NM where I went to college, and met my sweetheart.


Inside the box, at the bottom, these are the pieces that I have cut out.



There are even a few blocks put together....five to be exact.  They do look very cool.  It must of been the era of "blended quilts".  Good thing I am starting to like scrappy again.



Project #2 is from the next summer.  It was/is a Patchwork Party "block of the month" that was done on line with twelve different quilt shops.  Each shop had one block and one finishing idea for the set.


Great idea!  Loved seeing what 12 different people thought to do with the same fabric.   To make things work seamlessly between the shops they all used Marti Michell templates to make the blocks.  Another great idea!  Worked like a charm.


Six different shops.  Six different blocks.  All the same size.  Aren't they pretty?!
Have you ever used Marti Michell templates?  It takes about 10 hours to cut out one 12 inch block.  They are beautiful when they are done.  The pieces fit together perfectly. 

This is the finished quilt I picked.  Oh my.  I have a bit of work to do.

5 comments:

Bobbie said...

Love the road to paradise quilt! I am going to have to use the biblical prophecy weeks the next time I have a deadline!!! :) Did you really mean 10 hours to cut out a block with the template? No wonder the quilt isnt finished :)

Christine L said...

Those are going to BOTH be Beautiful quilts!!! I love the biblical timeline too! :) I look foward to seeing your progress as you complete these Yester Year treasures!!!

Rachel said...

First of all, both WIP's are beautiful! Love them. Second, well, I was going to ask if there was a way to track down the patterns for the second one, but, um, 10 hours to cut one block? Yeah, I am not that patient, my children would inherit it. In pieces. However, I applaud your goal here and can't wait to watch the progress!

Sana Saroti said...

What a great idea. I have two Halloween "Monster" Quilts hiding in my closet! I really like your first project. I absolutely love Syringa (common lilac)! They are gonna be in full bloom in just a short while here in Germany! So pretty!

Lynne said...

Dare I admit to having a "pair" of knee length striped socks lurking in the back of the wardrobe in the spare bedroom. The knitting in one is finished, the other is partially knitted - the feet are too narrow to ever fit anyone! But they were very fashionable back in the seventies!