Followers

Friday, February 18, 2011

Clockwork, Mystery Quilts, & Tall Orders

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.  Philippians 1:9-11 NIV


My Mystery Quilt Fabrics

It's Friday again.  It comes around every week, just like clockwork.  Imagine that.

I finished the laundry yesterday, and I have no work due until late next week, so I gave myself the day off.  I've been working on my Mystery Quilt, listening to the radio, and generally laying low.  I have a few more rows to attach to the quilt, then I need to make a decision about the borders.  I'm thinking I will use the focus fabric (Bliss floral) for a wide outer border, but am debating what to do with the inner border and binding.  I'd like to pick up the turquoise, but the funny dots are calling to me too.  I know there is a Bliss fabric like the red dots only in turquoise.  Maybe that is the answer....with a brown border.


FQG 2011 Mystery Quilt

Philippians 1:9 keeps circling through my brain.  No matter how I look at it, it seems backwards to me.  I understand "study so that you will be able to discern." That makes perfect sense.  Isn't that what school is all about?  Most people I know have spent years and years studying just so that they will have the right answer when the occasion arises.  It almost seems like the more years you've spent studying, the more answers you are expected to know - that's why PhDs get paid more.  (Dear Doctor friends and family - that was a joke.) 

Loving to the point of discernment is a very odd thought.  The best that I can figure, it must be a 1 Corinthians 13 sort of love - patient, hopeful, never jealous, etc.  This must be the sort of love that hangs in there for the long haul, the kind that sits back with it's mouth shut and prays.  It's the kind of love that Mary, the mother of Jesus, must of had when she sat back and took in all of the events that surrounded her son's birth, and death.  This isn't the love that buys Hallmark cards and chocolates on February 14th - it knows the depths of your heart because it has plumbed them.  That's a tall order.  I'm so glad Paul prayed for it instead of exhorting us....I've a much better chance of attaining it via God's grace in response to Paul's prayers than I do on my own.  Left to myself it's not happening.

So it's Friday.  Have a fantastic weekend.  It promises to be beautiful in North Texas.  While you are out and about know that I'll be praying for you - that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you will be able to discern what is best.  I'll work on "pure and blameless" next time.

 Be blessed friend!

No comments: