Followers

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Rain, anxt, crabs, and new tools

As I look out my windows I see a lush green neighborhood. If I lived anywhere else it wouldn't phase me a bit. But in Texas...in August....this is not the norm. This time of year things start to look dead, dried up, brittle, burnt, brown. The kids go back to school because every drop of fun has been squeezed from summer like the last drops of moisture from the lawn. This year seems to be saying, "Not yet."

My oldest heads back to college tomorrow. Today is filled with packing, last minute laundry, and anxt. (Maybe that is just cloudy skies and rain on the windows.)

None the less, I have gotten some quilting in....

I have finished this quilt....but have been waiting for a sunny day to take it's picture. (What was I thinking?)

I quilted it in Deb Geisler's Swirling Crabs....isn't it cute?

 

This is the back. I think it is just a pretty as the front.

I've also gotten some new equipment "installed". Remember, I told you that I was going to a quilt show? What I didn't tell you is that I took my dh with me. He is such a geek. (I say that with great affection.). He fell in love with the Martelli cutting system. (Yes, he does help me with my quilting projects. He won't use the longarm, although he will do manly mantenance type stuff. But he does cut, and iron for me.)

I have a new cutting mat! Yeah! This one doesn't warp when you put your hot cup of coffee or lap top on it. We are told that you can even iron on it....but I won't be doing that...not even with these lovely irons. (Although they would do wonders towards increasing my cario work out while I am working on quilts.)

He also bought some great cutting tools. This 8.5" square has a sticky side that keeps the fabric from shifting when you cut. My trimmed squares came out looking like they were lazer cut. I do wish the rulers were see through, or had guide lines on the back to help line things us....but even without them they are amazing.

To give dh a chance to play with his toys I got out an old project and had him cut for me. On Saturday and Sunday, while doing laundry, watching the Little League World Series, and doing last minute school shopping, I worked on this.

Sweetwater's Reunion...and my "#Shit Doc Says" pattern. This is the way I envisioned the quilt to begin with. I have to say.....LOVE IT!

Did you notice the design wall?! Another step in the evolution of design walls without walls! One of my brothers is closing down his business....a photography studio...and was selling off his gear. Dh purchased a z-rack and moved my curtan design wall onto it. The result isn't as large as the other was, but it is much easier to use. I think it might also come in handy when taking photographs....drap quilt over rack....roll into spot lights...you get the idea.

Aside from all that...I've been contemplating the start of a design company....to sell my quilt designs via PDF files. I love giving things away for free....but I need a bigger challenge....

 

9 comments:

Mary said...

You definitely should start a pattern company...or a book..something! Free is nice but when people go ga ga for a free charm pack giveaway and gloss over a tutorial a lot of hard work has gone in, it really discourages me. So make you so money, girl!

Mina said...

Oh wow, I love that X and + quilt!!

In my part of Texas, my yard is dried up and almost dead

Patti said...

Wow! You've got your hands full! How great to have a hubby that actually likes to help! Love your reunion quilt and the name!

Jessica said...

The quilts are BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE the swirl quilting, too. You need to teach a class on that! Amazing!

Carla said...

Gorgeous Reunion quilt. I love that line of fabric ; )

Lynne said...

I never think "rain" when I think Texas. But few people think rain when they think of Australia either!

My husband doesn't mind helping out with my quilting either! Playing with the rotary cutter is a "manly" thing to do apparently! LOL

I hope the pain of missing N. is not too great.

Canadian Abroad said...

I need a husband like that! Love mine but can't picture he will ever be helping cut and iron with my quilting. Shame! ;-)

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Yay, what a great man!! And a fab quilt oo!

Fabric Warrior (aka Amie) said...

Cindy- I am truly amazed by your quilts, and I think your design company would be a great hit. Your quilts are so beautiful, and you have such an eye for design. Some of my all time favorite quilts are on your blog! : ) Oh, and that Reunion quilt is spectacular and I love the brightness of the super-colorful one. Great job as always!