Followers

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Advent

advent calendar

It is my favorite time of year...and no, it isn't because I love little boxes (although I do), nor is it because I am anxious to receive a gift (although I do like getting them).

advent socks


I love Advent because it is filled with joy....and to some extent a delightful spirit of adventure.  I'm not about to drag out my OED to look up roots and derivatives, an ant would need glasses to read that print, however a quick peek at Merriam-Webster on my I-pad (I can control the size of the font on this one) suggests that the words are related.  Both are related to things to come....like Christmas, and birthdays, and surprises.

advent bags

During Advent I spend inordinate amount of time thinking about the people I love, enjoying the gifts of friendship, and plotting ways to make known, on no uncertain terms, that my heart belongs to them.  I want them to know that.  I love them.  I want the best for them.  And there is nothing that they can do, or neglect to do, that will ever change that.  My gift giving is NOT dependent on my gift getting.  It doesn't work that way.

Advent week 2 - Peace

Sometimes these activities keep me stuck in my head....I always have thought too much...and I don't stop to participate.  This is NOT a good thing.  I neglect to enjoy the wonderfully intoxicating joy of anticipation.  I suspect that I don't really believe that I matter, that my love and loving could ever be returned.   There is a part of me that thinks I will forever be the kid on the outside of the window looking in.  It is all hogwash.  (Anyone know what hogwash is?  Really...why do we use that expression.)

The First Christmas Window

I have publicly shared that I am a Christian.  It is no secret.  I KNOW without a doubt that my God loves me.  He wants the best for me, and there is nothing that I can do, or neglect to do, that will ever change that.  His gift giving is NOT dependent on my ability to give something back to Him.  It doesn't work that way.

I don't understand why He does what He does, nor do I understand His timing.  If consulted, I am sure I would do things differently...  be very glad that I wasn't consulted.  God doesn't see any differences between people.  He made us all.  Could a father love one son more than the other?  Really?  Okay a human father could, but my heavenly Father doesn't.  He is perfect.  There is room in his mansion for all of us.  Short, fat, tall, thin, black, white, blond, brunette, ginger, male, female, young, old, quilter, banker, inmate...all of us. There is a gift under His tree for everyone who enters the house.  There is love overflowing, unending, and intensely personal for anyone willing to accept it.  No strings.  He loves us, all of us.  He wants the best for us, and there is nothing that we can do, or neglect to do, that will ever change that.  His gift giving is NOT dependent on our ability to give back.  It doesn't work that way.
 
advent calendar 2

One day soon, the days of Advent will be over.  People all over the world will celebrate Christmas day.  It will get here.  As will the day when my Lord returns to gather His own....and then it really will be Christmas. 

Oh what a day that will be....I can't wait to greet you there.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

What a great post with some gorgeous pictures.

God's gift of love is not only under the tree for us, He was hung on a tree -- and that's the most amazing part! And it's there every day, not just at Christmas!

See you on that great day (if not before)!

Cindy said...

AMEN!! Thanks for the beautiful post.