(row 10 )
This quilt has a large section set aside just for applique embellishment. I chose to put one big car and r.v. on mine. The drawings are available for you to copy...and are based on the images in the Smore Love fabric line.
It would also be adorable to applique some words here.
On the road again....
California or bust!
"Go west young man..."
The bear climbed over the mountain....
I'd have to add a bear silhouette if I used that last one. This is the perfect place to make this quilt your own. No one else will have a quilt just like it. What ever you decide to do have fun and be sure to let me know....I'd love to have a picture of it in my Flickr group, Tops to Treasures.
- 1/2 yard background
- I used Green blocks from S'more Love SKU#37076-15
- Various scraps for applique
- Paper to print pattern on
- Buttons - about 1" in diameter for wheels
- I used La Mode #20465 - they look like big tacky white walls. (The are not the buttons in the picture above. Those were photo shopped on PicMonkey.)
- Fusible web
- Cut 2, 8 1/2" x wof from background fabric
- Cut pieces for applique x 2 (you need a set for row #11)
- Background (row #10)
- Sew background pieces together along short edge to make one 8 1/2" x 84-ish" strip
- Iron seam allowance open
- Trim strip to 8 1/2" x 60 1/2"
- Ya, no. I am not going to tell you how to do applique. Sorry. If you fuse yours, like I did, follow the instructions on the package.
- My drawing (get a copy of it here) is facing the way I wanted it to go. I had to trace it onto my fusible web using the back side of the pattern to get it going in the right direction on my quilt.
- You can use the doors and window shapes for pattern pieces too....add a small "seam allowance" to your pieces so that they fall behind the vehicles when you fuse them. You will be happier with the results...don't ask me how I know.
- I recommend that you do NOT attach your button wheels until after the quilt is quilted. They don't agree with sewing machine needles.