Followers

Monday, May 9, 2011

Statler Sisters Update

The meeting lasted from about 11:00 am until 3:00 pm, give or take.
We had a lovely lunch together. Our hostess's granddaughter did a terrific job of serving everyone. She was adorable; the meal was delicious; and the conversation was lively. It was very interesting to hear about their quilting journeys. I will never cease to be amazed at how similar we can be and still be totally different.
After lunch we retired to the studio and viewed a video which extolled the updates to Creative Studio. (The software that runs the Statler system.). I knew that it had been released, didn't think much of it. As soon as I got a free minute I hunted down my passwords and installed it.

The group also talked about different ways to use the machine. Where I commonly use it to hang clothes fresh from the dryer, or to hold my laundry baskets, these people actually suggested creative ways to sew with it. One of them had created a gadget that holds three spools of thread at the same time. Using this gave her quilting a corded tweed look. Very interesting.
I could tell that their quilting and my quilting are worlds apart just by our conversations. That is to say, I only tap a fraction of the creative possibilities available to me. One day I will have to attempt something more, but for the moment I am happy quilting for people instead of for shows. People smile and get excited when you give them a gift. The gift of a quilt is even better, it keeps them warm when you can not. Quilt show judges, and museums are not nearly as appreciative. They may pay better, they do pay better, a lot better, IF (and that is the key word) they like your work. That's not for me.
A quilt without people to comfort is just a bunch of fabric.

No comments: